Are you a positive or negative influence on the people around you?
When things get busy or tough, do I get upset or frustrated? You bet. And many times, it just makes things worse to allow that bad mood to creep in (or come blasting in, depending on the situation).
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, and feeling a need to be more intentional in my actions and my attitude in order to be a positive influence to the people I come in contact with. Because after all, my bad mood will likely rub off on those around me and that is not a good thing.
The following are some things I plan to do in order to stay positive:
- Smile – not only can a smile be disarming to others in a difficult situation and help them to adjust their attitude, but it does something to me also. It can flip the switch from negative to positive in my own mind. (Try it right now – just smile – not fake, but a genuine smile. Feels better, doesn’t it?)
- Take a deep breath – taking a deep breath can settle me, and help me refocus on finding solution rather than sinking into negativity.
- Look for solutions – when things aren’t going as planned, it’s easy to just focus on the bad instead of accepting it and moving on. My time is much better spent looking for other ways to deal with the problem than rehashing it.
- Make the best of the situation – it may not be what I expected, but it’s what happened. I do believe that things happen for a reason, and some of my greatest growth has been a result of some of the hardest times in my life.
- Be thankful – when I feel that negativity creeping in, I will stop and be thankful for my blessings – because after all, it’s hard to be negative and grateful at the same time. And no matter how bad the situation is, there are so many things to be thankful for, that the bad fades into the background.
So as a new week begins, no matter what happens, I am approaching it with a renewed focus on being a positive influence. I will be more thankful and I will definitely smile more (thanks Ruby Taylor!). It WILL be a good week.
So now your turn, will you be the smile or the frown today?